Tuesday 16 September 2014

National Aquathlon Championships and Buttermere Triathlon

Guest report time! Read on below for Chris Wright's report on his race against Rob at the fiendishly difficult Buttermere triathlon, and Matthew Fearn's report from the National Aquathlon Championships held by NiceTri events last weekend :)

Buttermere Triathlon:

"The forecast was for a glorious day and a challenging course – The Buttermere Triathlon was going to be great.

 

A 1500 swim in an estimated 14 degree water temp (a blatant lie) went without issue. Rob shot off as usual (how does he do that). I exit about a minute later and onto the stoniest transition run I've ever encountered, so much so I walked until I reached the grass.  Rob shouts see you on the first hill as he exits T1 whilst I'm still getting out of my wetsuit.

The bike route is a challenging one, within a few minutes of being on the bike your making your way up Honister pass.  It's a long climb with a nasty 25% kick right the end.  I catch Rob about half way, dry heave a greeting and keep going.  A few well-wishers ensure you don't get off and push at the summit but you're rewarded with a fantastic descent.  The course then takes you over Catbells heading towards Whinlatter.  The roads are your usual Lakeland roads (in urgent need of maintenance) and on one particularly bumpy section I wasn't surprised to see the odd unopened gel and water bottle.  The 2 mile climb up to Whinlatter is another tough one but nothing like Honister. Then it's a fast descent into high Lorton where I get promptly stopped by a batch of cars trying to pass each other.  All of the people I've picked off on the descent catch me up (Insert swear word here, pray for the drivers to suffer a slow and painful death etc).  It's 30s or so before I can navigate my way through the cars.  It's then an undulating ride back to T2.

The run is around Crummock water – the first 2 miles, whilst flat, have paths littered with enough large rocks to ensure only the fell runners make decent progress. I however, am not one of those and curse as people hop past me.  Numerous peat bogs also slow progress, some poor bloke face planted in one after going knee deep in mud  – he recovered far too quickly for my liking and shot off like it was something that happened to him on a daily basis.  As we round the lake I get a shock.  I was officially indoctrinated into the Coalfields bum slap brigade as Rob passes me!!! Oh the horror!!! He then had the cheek to promptly put a 12s distance between us.  I close the gap to 6s on a downhill section aided by a slight navigation error from Rob.  Then the route sprung a climb on us, half way up Robs left leg turns rigid, he turns and with a look of agony say's … CRAMP!!!  Now being a twin and the caring sort, I opted for the "Top Gear" rule …. I left him, crested the hill and gave everything I had on the descent, to put as much distance as possible between us.  The final mile is across flat fields and I was running on empty and glancing backwards way too many times expecting to see a familiar Orange and Blue trisuit zooming towards me.  Finally I was dodging past the day trippers and crossing the line totally goosed. Under 2 mins later an annoyed Rob crosses the line – I can honestly say this is the first time he's genuinely raced me in ages, he should have won as well, but he didn't – ha ha ha ha.

 

Great Race and my unbeaten run of wins this year continues Chris 3 – Rob 0

Chris Wright 3:31:39 (51st) Rob Wright 3:33:36 (56th)"


National Aquathlon Champs:

"The race was held at Regatta Meadow in St Neots, Cambridgeshire, one of the most scenic races I've ever done. What I thought were good racing conditions were very misleading! The 750m swim went well (except from the temperature) and I found myself leading the second group of athletes, leaving the water at 10:13 minutes in 13th position. After a reaaaaaaally slow transition where I couldn't feel my hands and my wetsuit legs decided to shrink what felt about 3 sizes I finally was onto the run. The first of the two 2.5k laps was shaky but I felt in a rhythm towards the end and crossed the line in 29:40. The run time could have been quicker but I was pleased at what I thought was my finishing position. After waiting around for the presentation just so we didn't rush home and to waste time, I was VERY surprised to hear I'd got the bronze medal which is why I have a confused look on my face during every single one of the podium photos ha.


It's always best to leave a race with something to show and a national medal will certainly do exactly that."




Just leaves me to say well done all, and in particular MASSIVE congratulations to Matthew - what a way to end the season!!!