Monday 13 October 2014

Kona Update

As I'm sure your all aware, CFRT athlete, coach and committee member Elliot Gowland competed at the Ironman World Championships at Kailua-Kona, Hawaii this weekend. (Not even for the first time -  what an athlete!) Update from Elliot post-race:

"Hi all thanks for all your support today and all the good lucks over the past few weeks. Today I went to hell and back and struggled to cope with all 3 disciplines but I still finished the race in what turned out to be my biggest test since I done my very first Ironman in 2005. This is why I love racing Ironman this is the challenge I love starting a race not knowing if I will finish it. So now it's feet up and time to repair for a while before I get ready to head back to Lanzarote next year. Thanks again and cheers."

Elliot completed Ironman Hawaii in a final time of 10:55:04, after a 1:16:20 swim and a 6:45:25 bike, finishing with a very impressive 4:05:36 marathon. Many congratulations from everyone at Coalfields RT - time to enjoy a well-deserved rest!

Also racing this weekend we had Chris Barnard finishing off his season at Hartside Duathlon. This year's training has obviously paid off with an excellent 5th place finish - very impressive, and looking good for some time on the podium next year after a solid winter of training :)

Finally, marathon-running duo Linda and Paul were representing CFRT at the Yorkshire marathon this weekend. That's 17 down now for Linda
 (quite the collection of medals!), after a run of 5:10:03, while Paul posted an awesome time of 3:02:33. Get those shins sorted for next year and there's a sub-3 on the cards?!

Well done all, and enjoy your well-deserved rest before the winter work starts!